Prowers county takes its name from John Wesley Prowers. He was one of southeast Colorado's first businessmen. He was also one of the state's largest landholders and richest. Prowers county is comprised of 1645 square miles with a population in 2000 of 14483 people. In 1998 the nominal income was $18598 ranking it 35th in the state with the unemployment rate of 2.9 % and cost of living index at 0.830. The main industry is farming at 25.1%. State and local government is next in employment with 15.6 %, follow by services at 11.4%.
In Spanish Granada means pomegranate, is located west of the first platted site. The population in 1998 was 535. Granada was the end of line for Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Was considered a "wild" town during the early days of the railroad construction.
Each town was to honor landowner near the site, but a clerk for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway switch the names. So the landowner, Bristol, became Hartman for George Hartman, a Santa Fe superintendent. Bristol became the name for the site near Hartman's land, named for C. H. Bristol, a Santa Fe manager. In 1998 Hartman had a population of 112.
In 1998, Holly had a population of 929. Holly was named for a rancher who started the double S ranch. Holly is located on US highway 50.
Lamar, the county seat of Prowers county, is named for Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar serving at the time, secretary of interior. Lamar is located on the Santa Fe Trail, also Us highways 50 and 287. Lamar, in 1998, had a population of 8748. NeoPlan USA Corporation, a German-owned company that builds busses, is located in Lamar.
Wiley was located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. There was a population of 451 in 1998. Wiley is named for William M. Wiley, head of the Holly Sugar Company.
Other communities of interest:
A "relocation center" for the people of Japanese descent from 1942 to 1945. The camp took the name Amache for the daughter of Cheyenne Indian Chief, One Eye. At one time there was almost 10000 people housed here.
Amity (Fort Amity)
A Salvation Army experiment, Settlers were lent funds to get started with a 6 % interest to be paid back in ten to fourteen years. This included ten acres of land, tools, seed and equipment. The settlers built buildings and projects (such as the Amity irrigation ditch). They were paid two dollars as day. Half of this was applied to the loan and the rest used to cover expenses.
Carlton, Cheney Center, Kornman and May Valley
Colorado Department of Local Affairs; Colorado State University Cooperative Extension; Bearfacts from Bureau of Economic Analysis; Discover Southeast Colorado
Send mail to
email@example.com with questions or
comments about this web site.